Elephant Dreams, Original Mixed Media Art
Lately, I've been listening to podcasts as well as reading a lot about Feng Shui and I've been thinking about how that relates to my art.
What is Feng Shui?Feng Shui is the ancient Chinese practice of aligning your stuff with its most positive energetic forces. The basic concept is that everything has energy. There are some things that will always give off "bad" energy...these are things like clutter, dirt, anything that is broken or negative.
And there are most positive energetic symbols.The art of Feng Shui is placing these energetic symbols where you will get the most positive impact.
Why this isn't just hocus pocus
Now before you dismiss this as hocus pocus, the real idea behind any of this is to create mindfulness around your environment. While the exact rules of Feng Shui may or may not matter, giving careful thought to the placement of all the objects in your house does matter. Not keeping clutter, dirt or broken or unnecessary objects around your home does matter. Placing beautiful uplifting art around your home does matter...and does shift the energy of your home.
Feng Shui and the Elephant
Since I recently completed this elephant painting, I wanted to give some thought to where someone might hang this painting in their home based on Feng Shui principles.
- Want your kids to study harder or do better in school? Place the painting in your child's bedroom, or wherever she does homework. The elephant symbolizes knowledge and trust.
- If you want to promote stability, place the elephant in the north of your home.
- Elephants guard and protect the household. They guard the door and bar the chi energy from leaving. So with that in mind, you can hang this elephant in your foyer near the door.
- Placing the elephant painting at the front door brings good luck, protection and strength to the household. Most feng shui practitioners believe that these elephants should have their trunks facing upwards as that represents prosperity, good luck and victory.
- The main rule for placing an elephant in your home is to always have the elephant facing into the room.